The ladies choir Aquarius was involved in this project and in 2008 they were invited to a full New Year’s Concert with the songs from the Barcelona album and selected queen hits. On the stage, Marius Holth and Karin Ten Cate were together with a lady choir from inner Østfold who had received great self-confidence and great voices after working regularly with Marius.
– For me, that was a dream come true – says Marius. – Finally, I was standing on a big stage and singing this amazing music together with Karin, as I had dreamed about.
The show received a wonderful reception and was invited to Rotterdam for the “Queen-day” an annual event for queen fans from all over Europe. The show was also set up in Askim for two full houses in Askim Culture House. There were two scouts from Switzerland and in 2010, Marius, Karin and the show choir “Killer Queens” were invited to perform the entire show on the “Freddie Mercury memorial day” which is a Queen festival that takes place in Switzerland each year.
– It was a wonderful prestigious invitation – says Marius. – Man doesn’t get every day a chance to sing Freddie Mercury’s music in his own hometown, in front of thousands of Queen fans from across Europe.
But it’s not just about moving a show with more than 30 people on stage from Norway to Switzerland. Equipment had to be driven all over Europe, a whole choir should be unloaded, musicians had to be moved and taken care of.
– The logistics around that project was really challenging – says Marius. – We were about to give up, but we made it.
With the help of the Norwegian Embassy they came down and the fairy tale was a fact. They had with them the producer Peter Anthon Ness, who had been the producer of Jan Werner and Sissel Endresen. And after an acoustic Barcelona concert for the Norwegian environment in Switzerland, the journey went to Montreux.
– Standing in front of thousands of Queen fans from all over Europe was one of the biggest experiences I’ve experienced as a singer – says Marius. – It was a magical experience and I felt I could only sing and sing forever. The audience could sing out all the songs and they sang with us. Afterwards, we wrote autographs and got rock star status.
Singing Barcelona was a dream come true. But the dream still lives.
– I could imagine to sing that show again – says Marius. – It is very suitable for solemn occasions – Give me a choir and a scene, and I’ll come as soon as I can.